Today’s 5 things I’m thankful for:
1. Mom – I’m so thankful that I live close enough to my mother that I can see her at least once or twice a month! And spending the afternoon together is lovely, even if it’s just to do something as unexciting as much-needed cleaning. Thanks. Mom! (Lunch together first was lovely, of course.)
2. Summer’s first tomato – at least OUR garden’s first tomato of summer. 🙂 It was a rich, deep, red, and the diced meatiness of this fruit livened up supper’s salad. Yum!
3. July’s ‘polar vortex’ – I do appreciate the lack of searing heat! I understand that this isn’t how July should be, and for the sun-loving majority (and for our growing tomatoes), I do hope that warmer air enters soon. This is a nice break, though!
4. ice cream sandwiches – Even during the July Polar Vortex, ice cream sandwiches are a treat! After a very fresh and nutritious salad, I think I’ve earned a fun little treat. (Our last night without the kids here, we’re allowed to be a little unhealthy just between us adults.)
5. “found money” – a phone call last month informed me of money from a retirement fund I thought had been deposited a few years ago… it wasn’t, so I received a pretty good-sized check! It could only be deposited into a different retirement account, but it will be fun to watch as interest is earned on money I didn’t know I had. (…from the state Teachers’ Retirement fund, which I thought had been dealt with years ago. My last year in the public schools was 1997.) So this check was deposited today – fun! I wonder what it will look like in 20+ years?