It has arrived! Day 30 – what 5 things shall highlight this final list? I narrowed that down by this morning, but first I wish to challenge each of us. Can we each identify 5 things each day that we’re thankful for? Fine, I agree – we CAN. But will we? If ending a sentence with a preposition irritates you, feel free to find a different wording method. In honor of preposition placement, I’ll even word today’s list title differently.
5 Things for Which I Am Thankful:
1. schools – As a former public school teacher, the mother of two high schoolers, and a product of such schools, I appreciate the blessing that education is! And ours will start in just a week.
2. reading – I am so thankful that I have been given the gift of literacy! And that so many books are available to us, on paper and digitally.
3. writing – and I’m so glad that I learned to write, not only with pencil and pen, but also via keyboard and pixels.
4. arithmetic – particularly, I’m thankful for calculators. 🙂 I much prefer balancing the checkbook electronically!
5. freedom – to study what we wish, to worship as we like, to do all of these things without persecution. Watching the news makes me quite edgy, as it seems that history is repeating itself in relation to anti-Semitism in Western Europe. Freedom is not free, I know, and I hope that people take to heart the sculpture and sign on the wall exiting Dachau Concentration Camp. “Never Again,” it reminds us.
Not to end on a “downer” sort of note, but this freedom is certainly something to be thankful for! And I don’t wish to forget that.