My husband, an amazing fellow who wears many hats, spent time this morning reflecting on something he values: play. His own blog, www.freelancehight.com, focuses on his freelance work in the game industry, and after reading of his thoughts, I knew where today’s thankful list needed to stem from.
5 Reasons I’m Thankful for Play:
- Childhood connections – Playing games of all sorts can help connect across generations, can cut through boundaries that seemed to be there. With Kids Hope, this is often a connection point between an adult mentor and a shy chid.
- Friend sharing times – Time for playing games gives a great reason to gather! This is especially nice for less extroverted folk who would not otherwise plan elaborate social engagements. <cough, cough…>
- Equal ground – I’ve never been an athlete, so that hasn’t changed, but there are physical limitations that I have..… As such, card or board games are a nice way for me to interact in an activity without feeling or looking like a clumsy buffoon. 😉
- Variety – I appreciate how a weekend of playing games holds so much variety! I really enjoy card games like Euchre, but board games have grown tremendously since I was young (and my brother always beat me at Monopoly). Games like Quilt Show open the world of board games up to a new group of friends.
- Memory-making – The activity of playing games together does help make special memories, and for that I am indeed thankful!