Here is the exciting thing I alluded to yesterday… on the 15th, my brothers and I, with our spouses, celebrated something very exciting with our parents. On August 22, they will officially have been married for FIFTY years! This certainly deserves more than just a little list, and a fuller post will come on August. But here will be today’s list:
5 Things I’m Thankful for as We Celebrate Dad and Mom’s 50th Anniversary:
- Their true commitment: At dinner, we asked Dad and Mom for lessons they have learned or advice they have for us. Two big ones were to stay committed and to forgive. Both of these can be tough, but they’re worth it.
- Small town hospitality: As Chris, Matt, and I considered options about a small celebration, I was thrilled to connect with Maxine’s, a lovely restaurant near the spot where we’re staying for the week. When I called the restaurant last week to make arrangements, they not only were able to let us use a banquet room for just the eight of us, but the waiter and manager who arranged this for us made us feel special and celebratory. (Thank you, Kyle!)
- Real florists: In the world of 1-800-FLOWERS, I was able to talk with the florist near Maxine’s to order a centerpiece with flowers similar to those in Mom’s bridal bouquet. At The Joy of Flowers, they were able to order orchids the same color and type of the one at the center of the flowers she had carried… it was lovely indeed. (I also know that Dad loves fresh flowers as much as Mom, if not more.)
- Family pictures: Mom especially loves family pics, so we were able to snap a few together. And if you had seen all
of the ones that were taken, you can imagine why we went through so much film when I was growing up… We’re thankful for digital cameras!
- Daughters old enough to babysit: The eight of us were able to truly enjoy our time of celebration because three sixteen-year-old young ladies spent an evening with their younger cousins. Not necessarily “babysitting,” but making fun memories with a movie, snacks, and balloons.
…then celebration week continued on the 16th…