Happy Independence Day to my fellow Americans! The Fourth of July reminds me of so many things I have to be thankful for. Here are a few:
- I love our country! – Though quite imperfect, America is my home country, and there are so many wonderful things that come together to make our very diverse nation a beautiful place.
- Picturesque spots – From sea to shining sea, as the lyrics proclaim, America truly is beautiful.
- We’re young, but we do have history – As my daughters spent the past school year immersed in the depths of our history during advanced placement US History (APUSH), I, the parent, was reminded of chapters of our history that may not all make me proud, but do show how far we’ve come.
- Family roots – My grandmother (Dad’s mom, Helen Trimble) once told me that our family does date back to the colonial times. My great-great-great…… aunt was Dolly Madison’s sister, or something of that sort. (Dolly Madison was the wife of James Madison, not just the brand name of a snack cake advertised with the Peanuts cartoon characters.)
- Freedom! – Ability to worship God unimpeded by governmental rules and requirements is a beautiful thing.
p.s. The fourth of July is also the special day of a friend who lives “across the pond.” Happy Birthday, Ruthie!